Department of Paediatrics (Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Department of Pediatrics
The department of paediatrics provides care to neonates, infants, children and adolescent up till the age of 14 years. The vision of department is to provide excellence in clinical care, training and research. The department is equipped with infrastructure facilities of neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) and pediatric wards. Pediatric hemato-oncology services are being provided in the department. Dr Jagjit Singh Dalal have successfully completed three years of DM Training in Neonatology. Dr Jaya Shankar Kaushik (DM Pediatric Neurology) is in the process of establishing Pediatric Neurology services. The department serves as referral centre for neighbouring districts of Haryana.
Publications (Indexed) in last 5 years (2011-2016)
1. Gathwala G, Khera A, Singh J. Response. J Pediatr Neurosci. 2011 Jul;6(2):163-4.
2. Singh J, Rattan KN, Gathwala G, Kadian YS. Idiopathic unilateral lower limb gangrene in a neonate. Indian J Dermatol. 2011 Nov;56(6):747-8.
3. Gathwala G, Goel M, Singh J, Mittal K. Intravenous diazepam, midazolam and lorazepam in acute seizure control. Indian J Pediatr. 2012 Mar;79(3):327-32.
4. Gathwala G, Singh J, Rattan KN, Bhalla K. Nonchylous idiopathic pleural effusion in the newborn. Indian J Crit Care Med. 2011 Jan;15(1):46-8.
5. Marwah A, Gathwala G. Symptomatic hypoglycemia causing brain injury in a term breast fed newborn following early discharge. Indian J Pediatr. 2011 Dec;78(12):1549-51.
6. Gathwala G, Khera A, Singh J, Balhara B. Magnesium for neuroprotection in birth asphyxia. J Pediatr Neurosci. 2010 Jul;5(2):102-4.
7. Gathwala G, Dalal P, Dalal JS, Choudhry O. Transient aplastic anemia in Down's syndrome - a rare association. Eur J Med Genet. 2011 May-Jun;54(3):341-2.
8. Gathwala G, Walia M, Bala H, Singh S. Recombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor in preterm neonates with sepsis and relative neutropenia: a randomized, single-blind, non-placebo-controlled trial. J Trop Pediatr. 2012 Feb;58(1):12-8.
9. Mittal K, Goel MK, R P, Khanna P. Local skin reaction following an accidental injection from a BCG vaccine in a healthcare worker. Australas Med J. 2011;4(2):94-6.
10. Gathwala G, Singh J, Dalal P, Garg A. Hypoglossia-hypodactyly syndrome in a newborn. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2011 Mar;39(2):99-101.
11. Gathwala G, Sindwani A, Singh J, Choudhry O, Chaudhary U. Ten days vs. 14 days antibiotic therapy in culture-proven neonatal sepsis. J Trop Pediatr. 2010 Dec;56(6):433-5.
12. Kaur G, Vinayak N, Mittal K, Kaushik JS, Aamir M. Clinical outcome and predictors of mortality in children with sepsis, severe sepsis, and septic shock from Rohtak, Haryana: A prospective observational study. Indian J Crit Care Med. 2014 Jul;18(7):437-41.
13. Mittal K, Kaushik JS, Kaur G, Aamir M, Sharma S. Unusual presentation of Sturge-Weber syndrome: Progressive megalencephaly with bilateral cutaneous and cortical involvement. Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2014 Apr;17(2):207-8.
14. Yadav M, Mittal K. Effect of vitamin D supplementation on moderate to severe bronchial asthma. Indian J Pediatr. 2014 Jul;81(7):650-4.
15. Singh J, Gathwala G, Khanna A, Abrol P, Mittal K, Gehlawat VK. Acquired methemoglobinemia due to contaminated Holi colors - a rare but preventable complication. Indian J Pediatr. 2013 Apr;80(4):351-2.
16. Mittal K, Goel MK. Knowledge Regarding Reproductive Health among Urban Adolescent Girls of Haryana. Indian J Community Med. 2010 Oct;35(4):529-30.
17. Goel MK, Kundan M. Psycho-Social Behaviour of Urban Indian Adolescent Girls during menstruation. Australas Med J. 2011;4(1):49-52.
18. Singh J, Dalal P, Bhalla K, Rattan KN. Neonatal Adrenal Hemorrhage presenting as Prolonged Hyperbilirubinemia. J Neonatal Surg. 2016 Apr 10;5(2):22.
19. Rattan KN, Singh J, Dalal P, Sonika P, Rattan A. Sacral Rachipagus Parasite: A Case Report. J Neonatal Surg. 2016 Apr 10;5(2):16.
20. Rattan KN, Singh J, Dalal P. Neonatal Duodenal Obstruction: A 15-Year Experience. J Neonatal Surg. 2016 Apr 10;5(2):13.
21. Aamir M, Punia H, Dalal P, Sharma D. Conservative management of a large neonatal ovarian cyst: a case report. J Clin Diagn Res. 2015 Apr;9(4):SD04-5.
22. Rattan KN, Dalal P, Gupta M. Exomphalos major associated with thoracic teratoma and hamartoma of left leg: a rare association. J Neonatal Surg. 2014 Jul 10;3(3):41.
23. Dalal P, Chaudhry D, Shukla V. Analysis of heavy metals concentration in ambient air and in human population of Rohtak, India. J Environ Biol. 2013 Sep;34(5):945-9.
24. Dalal P, Singh J. Recurrent headache in children. J Indian Med Assoc. 2014 Feb;112(2):106-7, 109.
25. Gathwala G, Dalal P, Dalal JS, Dayal S, Singh G. Giant congenital melanocytic nevi: a rare association with hypophosphatemic rickets. Indian J Pediatr. 2013 May;80(5):430-1.
26. Shukla V, Dalal P, Chaudhry D. Impact of vehicular exhaust on ambient air quality of Rohtak city, India. J Environ Biol. 2010 Nov;31(6):929-32.
27. Chandelia S, Khanna A. Appropriateness of prescriptions for common cold. Indian J Pediatr. 2013 Feb;80(2):171.
28. Gulati S, Kaushik JS. How I treat a first single seizure in a child. Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2016 Jan-Mar;19(1):29-36.
29. Dubey R, Kaushik JS, Israni A, Saini L, Patel H, Chakrabarty B, Gulati S. Finger drop sign: Rare presentation of a common disorder. Brain Dev. 2016 Feb;38(2):250-2.
30. Kumar RM, Saini L, Kaushik JS, Chakrabarty B, Kumar A, Gulati S. A Combination of Moyamoya Pattern and Cerebral Venous Sinus Thrombosis: A Case of Tubercular Vasculopathy. J Trop Pediatr. 2015 Oct;61(5):393-6.
31. Chellamuthu P, Sharma S, Jain P, Kaushik JS, Seth A, Aneja S. High dose (4 mg/kg/day) versus usual dose (2 mg/kg/day) oral prednisolone for treatment of infantile spasms: an open-label, randomized controlled trial. Epilepsy Res. 2014 Oct;108(8):1378-84.
32. Kaushik JS, Chakrabarty B, Gulati S, Patel H, Lodha R, Pai G, Kumar A. Unusual late neurological complication in a child after an Indian krait bite. Pediatr Neurol. 2014 Jul;51(1):130-2.
33. Mittal H, Mehndiratta S, Kaushik JS, Godbole T. De Sanctis-Cacchione syndrome. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 2013 Nov-Dec;79(6):849.
34. Narang M, Kaushik JS, Sharma AK, Faridi MM. Predictors of mortality among the neonates transported to referral centre in Delhi, India. Indian J Public Health. 2013 Apr-Jun;57(2):100-4.
35. Kaushik JS, Patra B, Sharma S, Yadav D, Aneja S. Clinical spectrum and treatment outcome of West Syndrome in children from Northern India. Seizure. 2013 Oct;22(8):617-21.
36. Kaushik JS, Sharma S, Aneja S, Kumar A. Chiari type 1 malformation and periventricular nodular heterotopia in a 6-year-old boy with congenital hemiplegia: a case report. J Child Neurol. 2014 Jan;29(1):99-102.
37. Kaushik JS, Gomber S, Dewan P. Clinical and epidemiological profiles of severe malaria in children from Delhi, India. J Health Popul Nutr. 2012 Mar;30(1):113-6.
38. Kashyap B, Das S, Jain S, Agarwal A, Kaushik JS, Kaur IR. Correlation between the clinico radiological heterogeneity and the immune-inflammatory profiles in pediatric patients with neurocysticercosis from a tertiary referral centre. J Trop Pediatr. 2012 Aug;58(4):320-3.
39. Jain P, Rajeshwari SM, Singh J, Kumar T, Agarwal SP, Das P. Myofibrillar Myopathy Presenting as Neonatal Intestinal Pseudo-Obstruction: An Extremely Rare Entity. Fetal Pediatr Pathol. 2016;35(2):124-8.
40. Surreptitious insulin overdosing in adolescents with type 1 diabetes. Jain V, Satapathy AK, Yadav J. Indian Pediatr. 2015 Aug; 52(8):701-3.
41. Unusual presentation of congenital neuroblastoma as persistent respiratory distress and Fever from age of 13 days in an infant: a case report. Sharma D, Yadav J, Garg E. Iran J Pediatr. 2014 Dec; 24(6):787-9.
42. Addisonian Crisis Due to Antitubercular Therapy. Yadav J, Satapathy AK, Jain V. Indian J Pediatr. 2015 Sep; 82(9):860.
43. Cushing syndrome related to leukemic infiltration of the central nervous system. Yadav J, Jain V. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2015 May; 28(5-6):717-9.
44. Opportunistic Infections and Complications in Human Immunodeficiency Virus-1-Infected Children: Correlation with immune status. Yadav J, Nanda S, Sharma D. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2014 Nov; 14(4):e513-21.
45. Novel ABCC8 (SUR1) gene mutations in Asian Indian children with congenital hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia. Jahnavi S, Poovazhagi V, Kanthimathi S, Balamurugan K, Bodhini D, Yadav J, Jain V, Khadgawat R, Sikdar M, Bhavatharini A, Das AK, Kaur T, Mohan V, Radha V. Ann Hum Genet. 2014 Sep; 78(5):311-9.
46. Split hand/foot malformation syndrome (SHFM): rare congenital orthopaedic disorder. Patel A, Sharma D, Yadav J, Garg E. BMJ Case Rep. 2014 Jun 27;2014.
47. Brown tumor due to vitamin D deficiency in a child with cerebral palsy. Yadav J, Madaan P, Jain V. Indian J Pediatr. 2014 Dec; 81(12):1419.
48. Cyclopia syndrome. Sharma D, Yadav J, Garg E. BMJ Case Rep. 2014 Jun 9;2014.
49. Pheochromocytoma presenting as diabetes insipidus. Jain V, Yadav J, Satapathy AK. Indian Pediatr. 2013 Nov 8; 50(11):1056-7.
50. Benign and infected Sacrococcygeal Teratoma in a 13 year old girl. APSPJ Case Rep 2015; 6(2)-20.
51. Gross Congenital Malformation in a Government Hospital. Indian Journal of Public Health, Vol.58, Issue1, Jan-Mar,2014.
52. Nonchylous idiopathic pleural effusion in the newborn. Gathwala G, Singh J, Rattan KN, Bhalla K. Indian J Crit Care Med. 2011 Jan;15(1):46-8.
53. Mehta P, Verma A, Gathwala G, Lohia S. Hallervorden Spatz Syndrome: A Case Report International Journal of Contemporary Medical Research 2016;3(4):1100-1101.
54. Noonan syndrome: ACTH induced hypertensive emergency Mittal K, Mehta P, Mittal A Sch. J. App. Med. Sci. 2016; 4(3C):818-819.
55. Brocho-biliary fistula: A rare complication after ruptured liver abscess in a 3˝ year old child. Kumar P, Mehta P, Ismail J, Agarwala S, Jana M, Lodha R, et al. Lung India 2015;32:489-91.
56. A Verma, G Gathwala, P Mehta, M Yadav, R Yadav, S Taparia . Heryln-Werner-Wunderlich Syndrome associated with Rectovesical fistula and Neural tube defect: A Rare Presentation. The Southeast Asian Journal of Case Report and Review 2015; 4 (4):1924-1930.
57. P, Sinha A, Sami A, Hari P, Kalaivani M, Gulati A, Kabra M, Kabra SK, Lodha R, Bagga A. Incidence of in hospitalized children.. 2012 Jul;49(7):537-42.
58. Kabra SK, Lodha R, Mehta P. “50 years of Pediatric Pulmonology, Progress and Future” Indian Pediatr. 2013 Jan 8;50(1):99-103
59. Mehta P, Agarwala S, Jana M, Kabra SK. “Swine flu presenting as acute appendicitis” Indian J Pediatr.2014 Feb;81(2):208-9.
60. Munchausen syndrome by proxy: an alarming face of child abuse. Gehlawat P, et al. Indian J Psychol Med. 2015.
61. Diabetes with comorbid depression: rate of SSRI in better glycemic control. Asian Journal of psychiatry. 2013.
62. Congenital Malaria with Atypical Presentation: A Series of Three Case Reports Journal of Clinical Neonatology 2015; 4(3):206-8.
63. Ischiopagus parasitic twin: A rare case report Nigerian Journal of Surgical Sciences Jan-June 2015;25(1)
64. Giant Fronto-parietal Encephalocele: A rare case report. Indian Journal of Case Report. 2015; July 25 ISSN (p) 2454-129x ISSN (e) 2454-1303.
65. Immunocontraceptives: How far from reality? Lekhwani S, Vaswani N, Ghalaut VS, Shanker V, Singh R. Adv Biomed Res. 2014 Dec 6; 3: 247.
66. Clinical predictors of influenza A (H1N1) in Kanpur, India. Midha T, Nath B, Kumari R, Rao YK, Lekhwani S, Vaswani ND, Pandey U. J Indian Med Assoc. 2012 Jan;110(1):22, 24, 39
67. Morbidity profile and seasonal variation of diseases in a primary health center in kanpur district: a tool for the health planners. Kumari R, Nath B, Midha T, Vaswani ND, Lekhwani S, Singh B. J Family Med Prim Care. 2012 Jul;1(2):86-91
68. Joubert syndrome: a case report. Singh J, Gathwala G, Agarwal S, Monika, Vaswani ND. J Indian Med Assoc. 2011 May;109(5):348-9.
69. Proteomics in obstetrics and gynecology. Lekhwani S, Shankar V, Vaswani ND. Indian J Hum Genet. 2011 Jan;17(1):3-6.
70. Opportunistic Infections and Complications in Human Immunodeficiency Virus-1-Infected Children: Correlation with immune status. Yadav J, Nanda S, Sharma D. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2014 Nov; 14(4):e513-21.
71. Verma R, Chawla S, Dhankar M. Importance of Micronutrient Supplementation Programme in Childhood to Reduce Child Mortality: The Haryana Experience. Int J Prev Med. 2016 Jun 22;7:87.
72. Sharma A, Dishant, Gupta V, Kaushik JS, Mittal K. Aluminum phosphide (celphos) poisoning in children: A 5-year experience in a tertiary care hospital from northern India. Indian J Crit Care Med. 2014 Jan;18(1):33-6.
73. Aamir M, Mittal K, Kaushik JS, Kashyap H, Kaur G. Predictors of stress among parents in pediatric intensive care unit: a prospective observational study. Indian J Pediatr. 2014 Nov;81(11):1167-70.
74. Arya V, Gehlawat VK, Kaushik JS, Gathwala G. Assessment of parent reported quality of life in children with epilepsy from Northern India: A cross-sectional study. J Pediatr Neurosci. 2014 Jan;9(1):17-20.
75. Mittal K, Gupta V, Khanna P, Kaushik JS, Sharma A. Evaluation of Integrated Management of Neonatal and Childhood Illness (IMNCI) algorithm for diagnosis and referral in under-five children. Indian J Pediatr. 2014 Aug;81(8):797-9.
76. Gehlawat VK, Arya V, Kaushik JS, Gathwala G. Clinical spectrum and treatment outcome of severe malaria caused by Plasmodium vivax in 18 children from northern India. Pathog Glob Health. 2013 Jun;107(4):210-4.
77. Gupta M, Nanda S, Kaushik JS. Quality of life in symptomatic HIV infected children. Indian Pediatr. 2013 Dec;50(12):1145-7.
Ongoing research projects (National)
1. National Hospital based rotavirus Surveillance Network- funded by ICMR (Prof Geeta Gathwala)
2. Establishing integrated National perinatal data base (NNPD) Network in India- funded by WHO (Prof Geeta Gathwala)
3. Gross congenital malformations among babies born at PGIMS, Rohtak and their risk factors-a case-control study.(Prof Geeta Gathwala)
Ongoing Thesis Research
1. WHO-SEARO National neonatal perinatal database (NNPD) project. (Principal Investigator: Sr Prof Geeta Gathwala)
2. ICMR National rotavirus surveillance network project (Principal Investigator: Dr Geeta Gathwala)
3. ICMR, CDC Atlanta and CMC Vellore collaboration: Rotavirus vaccine impact assessment: Surveillance study. (Principal Investigator: Dr Geeta Gathwala and Dr Poonam Dalal)
4. INCLEN and AIIMS collaborative research project: Development of Acute Respiratory Infection Treatment Units (ATUs) and assess their utility in improving healthcare and research in pneumonia related morbidity and mortality in India (Principal Investigator: Dr Poonam Mehta, Co-PI: Dr Geeta Gathwala)
1. Dr. Virender Gehlawat, Asstt. Professor has won best paper presentation at Paediatric Conference of North India, New Delhi, 3-4 Dec. 2016
2. Dr. Prathapa Shetty, Final year PG has won first prize in oral paper presentation in NEOCON-2016
3. Dr. Suchitra Yadav, Final year PG has won 2nd prize in poster presentation at PEDICON-2017 held 18-22 Jan., 2017 at Bangalore.
4. Sr Prof Geeta Gathwala and Sr Prof Sanjiv Nanda have received UHS award for excellence in teaching
5. Prof Kundan Mittal has been awarded Fellowship of Indian Academy of Pediatrics, and Fellowship of Criticial care Physician. (2016)
6. Dr Vikas Gupta, has been awarded with Gold medal for Paper presentation at National conference PEDICON 2013
7. Dr Gurpreet Kaur, has been awarded Gold Medal for paper presentation in NEOCON 2013.
8. Award for best poster paper presentation for paper entitled ‘Cardiac troponin I as an early predictor of hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy” at 49th national conference of Indian Academy of Pediatrics (PEDICON 2012) held at Gurgaon. (Dr Geeta Gathwala, Dr Poonam Dalal, Dr Jagjit Singh Dalal)
9. Dr Jagjit Singh:
a. Best paper award in annual conference of IAP Haryana state on 11th December 2011 at Kurushetra in 22nd annual conference of state IAP Haryana.
b. Award for academic excellence received in HARCON 2011 on 11th December at Kurushetra in 22nd annual conference of state IAP Haryana
10. Dr Poonam Mehta, has been awarded with Sorel Catherine Freymann Prize for being the best Post Graduate in Pediatrics, at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 2010.
ICMR Short Term Studentship (STS)
1. Predictors of acute meningitis among children presenting with febrile convulsion (Dr Amiraj Singh) (Guide: Sr Prof Geeta Gathwala) (STS 2013)
2. Predictors for critical care admission among children presenting to emergency with recurrent wheezing: A case control study (Dr Aman Saini) (Guide: Dr Jaya Shankar Kaushik) (STS 2013)
Events and CME organised in department
· National workshops on NRP in May 2015
· Department conducts one UG quiz and 2 PG quiz including PG quiz in Neonatology annually.
· Organized and conducted the 16TH NNF quiz college round as QUIZ master in Deptt of pediatrics on 6th august 2016.
· Organised 5th IAP pediatric Quiz for post graduates 2011 as “Quiz Master” college round held at PGIMS Rohtak on 9/8/2011
· Organized Asthma training module (ATM) as organizing secretary at Gymkhana club Rohtak held on 8th of July 2012 (Dr Jagjit)
· A national neonatology forum (NNF) quiz college round for post graduates was held on 6th August 2016 at 1 PM in Pediatric seminar room. Four teams participated. Dr Ashok and Dr Dayachand from PGIMS stood first. These students participated in zonal rounds at Jodhpur on 7th August 2016.